Sunday, May 20, 2012

Summarizing the 1st year in Graduate School

     I should have started this earlier, but my first year in graduate school has finished.  I am a graduate student at the University of Hawaiʻi - Mānoa seeking my Masters of Education in Educational Administration, with a focus on higher education, in the College of Education.  First and foremost, I never thought I would have seen myself in graduate school, particularly in education.  However, the admission requirements for this program were not rigorous and did not include taking the GRE.  
     The reason I applied and accepted my offer of admission into this program was because of my international exchange during my undergraduate study to the University of Waikato, Aotearoa/New Zealand.  While living there and learning, I've observed how Waikato Uni and the others allowed space for Māori in higher education.  Just to prior to leaving for Aotearoa, I've been involved with the Pūkoʻa and Kūaliʻi Councils, which are Native Hawaiian Advisory Councils to the University of Hawaiʻi President and University of Hawaiʻi - Mānoa Chancellor respectively.  For these very two reasons, I journeyed into higher education.
     It was a huge step for me to step into something that I was not familiar with.  From just obtaining my BA in Hawaiian Studies, I thought I would continue into the MA program.  I guess Ke Akua had other plans for me.  And I am very grateful and happy I am in this program, as there is a need for Hawaiians working in higher education.  
The classes I took in my first year are: 

Fall 2011
EDEA 602 Research in Educational Administration
EDEA 657 Introduction to Higher Education
EDEA 660 Management and Leadership in Higher Education

Spring 2012
EDEA 646 American College Student
EDEA 780K Access, Diversity, and Equity in Higher Education
EDEF 652 History of Education in Hawaiʻi

     What a year!  It was tough and very challenging.  Lots of writing and reading, but very informational, as it relates to us as college students.  The theories and knowledge we learn in class, can be very practical and applicable.  These classes really helped to set a foundation in higher education.  I met many good friends in this program and I am also happy that there are other Hawaiians in this program as well.
     Now that a year has quickly passed, I only have one more year left for my degree.  I really like it, because this program is only two years.  All the MEd programs are two years, so I am in and out.  I can't wait to graduate "again" and get my MEd!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment