Sunday, February 3, 2013

662.1 - Memorizing or Learning in Higher Education?

This semester, I enrolled in EDEA 662 Curriculum in Higher Education.  Although, I didn't need to take this class, I thought that it would be more beneficial for me (oh, plus thanks to scholarship too!).  Before enrolling in this class, last semester I took EDCS 640M Indigenous and Post-Colonial Perspectives in Education with Dr. Julie Kaomea.  My final project for this course, was developing a syllabus for a potential class the College of Education can offer, Hawaiian and Indigenous Education - EDHI 601 Introduction to Hawaiian and Indigenous Education.

Not knowing anything about curriculum development and how to develop a syllabus, I used syllabus from previous courses as a template.  It was challenging, however, I was encouraged to pursue this new idea.  And so, I was advised to develop this class, this syllabus, as if it was a real degree program here at UHM College of Education.  So, I envisioned what and how it would look like.  I'm hoping to learn as much as I can, to further develop this course and others into a much needed program at COE.

I would like to focus on Tagg's Chapter 7 - Approaches to Learning.  After reading Tagg's Chapter 7 - Approaches to Learning, I recalled my undergraduate learning being as the Instructional Paradigm and now, where I'm at now, my graduate learning as the Learning Paradigm.  Although I did learn a lot through my undergraduate classes, it is basically instructional until you reach the upper level courses.  These courses are the ones that seems to transition or incorporate a little from the Learning Paradigm.

All of the general education courses are Instructional Paradigm.  Endless "studying" and "memorization" skills was used to past tests and write papers.  Tests that only shows how much you can retain and papers that only show the explanation for the answer.  As a Hawaiian Studies major, most of my classes were very instructional.  I can only recall 2 classes that was learning, HWST 351 Mahiʻai Kalo (Taro cultivation) and HWST 343 Myths of Hawaiian History.  HWST 351 is a hands on class, where learning was actually doing in the loʻi kalo (taro patch) at Kānewai.  We cleaned, learned the about the area and the various kalo, planted and pulled kalo.  HWST 343 is a engaged class that did not require the teacher to instruct us to remember this and that.  We actively discussed literature that challenged us to critically analyze the issue and problems.

Deep Learning vs. Surface Learning

  • Deep learning is active; Surface learning is inert
  • Deep learning is holistic; Surface learning is atomistic
  • A deep approach reinforces incremental theory; A surface approach reinforces entity theory
  • A deep approach reinforces mindfulness; A surface approach reinforces mindlessness 
  • A deep approach to learning is enjoyable; A surface approach to learning is unpleasant

These points here, are really great components to making learning in general more appealing.  These 2 HWST class were very active, holistic, changeable and not fixed, very mindful and enjoyable.  Many courses lack these deep approaches to learning.  It makes me think, what the professors think - oh, if we got them to memorize all of these, then I have done my job.

All of the deep learning points are applicable to graduate studies than undergraduate studies.  Now, professors want to hear what you have to say, what you think and understand about that issue, what theory can you apply, etc.  It is the total opposite!  Undergraduate studies = Instructional Paradigm and Graduate studies = Learning Paradigm.  I always remember how I talk to peers about graduate school.  There is a fear.  I basically tell um, there's no tests, there's lots of reading and writing, but all the wanna know is how well you can talk to that issue.  So in my thoughts, it's like how do we make graduate studies into undergraduate studies?

Is memorization considered learning or is learning more than just memorization?
Is teaching just to memorize or is it more than just memorization?

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see your finished syllabus for EDHI! What a great assignment! It forces you, the student, to look at the course through the lens of the instructor. EDEA 662 is so totally subverting everything I've learned about school and the teaching dynamic. I really appreciate it.

    I also see that grad courses are much closer to the Learning Paradigm than undergraduate courses. I know I had some anxiety about talking about what I think about theories, etc. And that's coming from my experience in English classes where all we talked about was what we thought about the text. Undergraduate studies doesn't really prepare students very well to adapt to a more learning-centered paradigm does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Thanks for commenting on my blog! For that assignment, I wanted to be creative and not be confined to writing a regular paper. After my presentation, I did receive great feedback and people even wanted to take a class like this, if it was offered. And yes, it challenged me, as the student, to use an instructor's lens to look at the class. It's one of the reasons why I really wanted to take EDEA 662. I wanted to focus on Indigenous education and developing courses and a possible program here at COE. <-Nerd status right there! lol.

    EDEA 662 is definitely eye-opening to the whole concept of effective teaching and effective learning. There is a huge disconnect between undergrad and grad! When we transition to grad, we're all like, oh? We actually have to think and say something? We can say what we believe??? I really feel that undergraduate studies don't prepare you for grad studies and even the workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem that the lower level lecture classes are based in the instruction paradigm. Maybe it is the most economical way to disseminate information to non-majors. Unfortunately, as a result, students may get lost, lose further interest, and be harmed academically.

    I did a crossword puzzle today from a newspaper that was published a few days earlier. The clue was "Memorizes." I could not think of what to put in, so I tried solving the words around it. Anyway, in the end, the answer was "Learns." To me though, memorizing is only learning if you can recall it instantly and be able to analyze it on the spot. In most cases of "learning", memorizing is usually a short term study tactic.

    ReplyDelete