Tuesday, November 6, 2012

EDEA 604 Blog 10: My Topic for the Research Proposal

This whole semester has helped me to better understand the complex thinking of becoming a qualitative researcher.  And narrowing my research topic or narrowing my criteria is a little challenging.  Because I am very interested in so many aspects or perspectives of my topic, that for the sake of time and class, that I need to focus in on one or maybe two things.

My research topic is on Hawaiian identity and higher education, how both intersects one another and/or affect each other.  I say both of these, because I see two different relationships between intersection and affect.  I don't know if they could both mean the same, or could be different.  So my research question would be like: "How, if at all, does Hawaiian identity and higher education intersect or affect one another?"

In trying to narrow my focus between students and faculty/staff/administrator, I am leaning more towards faculty/staff.  The reason why I'm leaning more towards this groups is because of how much and how long they achieved the status of a faculty/staff/administrator.  And this focus is particularly only at UH Mānoa.  Therefore, I believe that my participants were all students at come point in their lives at UH Mānoa.  To get their in-depth responses, I believe, will help to possibly shape other future projects with them and with students.

My initial focus were on the Hawaiian Studies and Hawaiian Language programs, because this is the foundation of Hawaiian identity in higher education.  This is were everything has come forth from and evolved around the campus.  However, I'm thinking about trying to get a holistic Hawaiian approach on focusing on Hawaiian faculty/staff/administrator at UH Mānoa.  I have still yet to decide.

My proposals have used historical research as my method, and within that, conduct individual interviews.  Now, I would like to look at another method to see how it would look different.  So, I'm looking at case study as the method to obtain fat data.  And so with that, interview questions is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment